Friday, April 4, 2008

The Psycho Gene

You can't be a hockey goalie and be normal. The two just don't fit. Through out my life I have never known one who isn't, at least, just a little bit off. They're either really quiet and keep to themselves or they are outspoken and everything that comes out of their mouth is a.) funny, b.) gibberish that doesn't make sense, or c.) both a and b. I don't blame them either. I played one season in net when I was younger and I wanted to kill myself after every single goal I let in. Thank god I didn't stick with it. My groin, knees, and mental state are all happy about that as well. Anyway, here are some videos to support my point (as if I needed them)

Visual evidence
Ron Hextall, probably my favorite goalie growing up because he loved to score goals and I thought that was cool. I didn't realize how much of a nut he was until I got older

Awesome music choice by the creator of this video... but I could seriously watch that video over and over again.

Patrick Roy, I always hated him and I still do. The best evidence of his psycho qualities are through his son.

Apparently Patrick was yelling at his son to go take on the other goalie, who wanted nothing to do with the whole ordeal. Good job Roy's!

Than there is Manny Legace, who is just a funny guy. Here are a couple quotes from him

“Our team played great, it was our goalie that stunk.”

"I'd like to thank my parents for messing around 29 years ago"

Than there is that one, I can't find, from when the Wings lost in the first round and someone asked him how he felt and he said he felt like going home and hanging himself.

I don't know if this behavior transfers to other goalies in different sports. I can't imagine being a lacrosse goalie can be very fun. I played in net at the soccer blast tournament this past winter and that wasn't necessarily exciting, so I imagine soccer goalies are a little mixed up as well. I don't know. Someone should do a study. All I know is that this can't be fun...

1 comment:

ron said...

A study should be done. It could actually be an amazing documentary that sports people would love. I would be interested to help you make it after my documentary on youth sports parents. That is gonna be a doozy as well.